[mythtv-users] Fedora 12 to Fedora 14: lirc / mce remote issue

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Dec 15 20:53:23 UTC 2010

On Dec 15, 2010, at 12:00 PM, Michael Rice wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 14, 2010, at 3:54 PM, Michael Rice wrote:
>>> I did a fresh install of Fedora 14 on one of my front end boxes and
>>> it went pretty smoothly.
>>> There is one annoyance with the remote that I didn't have on Fedora 12.
>>> When I press a key on the remote I have to hold it down (for about a
>>> second) to get it to register where before a quick press would work fine.
>>> Anyone know how what would be causing this or how to fix this?
>>> Here are the details of what I did:
>>> lirc from fedora repos only:
>>> [root at mythfrontend2 ~]# rpm -qa | grep lirc
>>> lirc-0.8.7-1.fc14.i686
>>> lirc-libs-0.8.7-1.fc14.i686
>>> [root at mythfrontend2 ~]# uname -a
>>> Linux mythfrontend2 #1 SMP Fri Oct 22
>>> 15:27:53 UTC 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>> Try the latest kernel out of koji. There was a buffer-parsing issue
>> that would manifest similar to what you're reporting in the F14 GA
>> kernel.
>> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/kernel/
> Thanks for the advice about the kernel problem.  I waited until a new kernel
> appeared in the fedora updates repo and updated last night to
>  The slow response issue seems to be gone
> but it looks like I have the opposite issue now.  A very quick push of a
> button most of the time creates two key presses.  It seems to be buffering
> keys and sending them out on the next push.  For example here is the
> output of irw when I push Up after I had pushed several Downs:
> [root at mythfrontend2 ~]# irw
> 0001006c00000001 00 Down devinput
> 0001006700000001 00 Up devinput
> 0001006700000001 01 Up devinput
> So pushing Up after a Down does an Down/Up combo  :(
> Any idea how to fix that?  I added repeat = 0 to .lircrc but that
> doesn't help me.
> It doesn't seem to be a repeat problem but an extra key problem.

That's the exact problem I'm working on fixing right now. Actually,
I have it fixed, but have discovered another issue I want to fix
before I push a new kernel build. With luck, by the end of the day,
there will be a kernel that should be golden.

Its a bit like whack-a-mole right now... :)

Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com