[mythtv-users] HD PVR and IR transmitter for channel change (why)

Dave Richardson mythtv at derdev.com
Wed Dec 15 15:29:34 UTC 2010

 Sorry if this is remedial, the wiki does not appear to address the
 topic...
 http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HDPVR

 If the setup for an HD PVR from cable STB is

 STB --> [composite] --> HD PVR --> [USB] --> Myth BE

 Then the wiki appears to jump straight to a conclusion that the IR
 Transmitter channel change wiring and setup is

 HD PVR --> [ir emitter] --> STB

 with a lot of instruction about how to ensure modules/kernel and myth
 setup are done.

 My QUESTION: there seems to be a leap or assumption made that this is
 the best/correct IR transmitter setup to channel change on the STB.

 Can someone please elaborate on this?  Are there other options or at
 least reasons why this approach is favored?  My gap in understanding is
 that this is not similar to how IR transmitting is done when capturing
 from STB -> PVR 550/150 or other setups.  Why is the HD PVR IR
 Transmitter favored over IR transmitting from the BE?

 Thanks!