[mythtv-users] probelem with imon + kernel 2.6.35 (ubuntu maverick) + arrow keys

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Wed Dec 15 05:15:00 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 03:28:23PM -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Dec 13, 2010, at 10:34 PM, Seth Daniel wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 12:37:44PM -0800, Seth Daniel wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I upgraded to Ubuntu Maverick from Lucid.  Everything went fine except
> >> that my remote stopped working.
[...]
> >> Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?
> >
> > I saw what appeared to be similar problems with other remotes in at
> > least one other thread.  The solution(s) were the same: edit the
> > /etc/lirc/lircd.conf file and play with the 'gap' entry.
> >
> > I did this, but no luck.  I tried values for gap from 1 to 100000 (the
> > gap entry comes with a value of 132799 in the lircd.devinput.conf
> > file) and my arrow keys still generate multiple events with each press.
> > KEY_UP and KEY_DOWN always generate 5 events, KEY_LEFT generates six
> > events, and KEY_RIGHT generates seven events.  None of them are tagged
> > as repeat events.
>
> The imon driver in the Ubuntu kernel has known defects, but Canonical
> won't take patches to it, as they don't meet their Stable Release
> Update criteria. Run the latest bits from v4l/dvb git, and it will
> most likely behave better.

Okay.

I first tried this:
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers

It made me a little nervous since it was using Mercurial and you had
mentioned git.  It worked easily enough but it seems the code is
(roughly) the same as what I already had installed (or at least the
version of the module, as reported by modinfo, was the same: 0.9.1).
After the build and install I tried a number of tests with no luck...I
still had the same problem with the arrow keys.

It seems to use git and compile the v4l drivers I have to checkout the
entire linux tree (based on the instructions here:
http://git.linuxtv.org/media_tree.git).  Plus the instructions (on this
page: http://linuxtv.org/repo/) seem to suggest that the latest code
only works with the latest kernel.  I know exactly nothing about git so
I don't know if everything mentioned on that page is strictly necessary.
Perhaps there's a way to checkout just the v4l code, like with hg, but I
couldn't figure it out.  If I need to rebuild a new kernel I think
perhaps this is a bit more than I can handle at the moment. :o)

--
seth /\ sethdaniel.org