[mythtv-users] Looking for a New remote

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Dec 13 20:26:01 UTC 2010

On Dec 13, 2010, at 12:59 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Robert Shields <rwshields at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I second the recommendation with Logitech remotes - they have great female
>> acceptance (my gf, mother, and sister all have one).  Personally, I bought
>> them all the 550 b.c. it doesn't have colors or really big buttons - it is
>> low profile and sleek.
> I just received a Harmony One.  This was an RMA for a Harmony 880 that
> had issues within a month of me getting it (which I purchased to
> replace another 880 that was several years old and had its own issues
> including volume buttons no longer working and not being able to
> charge).

Heh, that first 880 sounds quite similar... My 880's vol+ button no
longer works, and it has a hell of a time maintaining proper contact
on the charge base... However, I have yet to bother reprogramming it
since getting a new receiver, because there really isn't much for me
to do now -- everything is coordinated by the receiver, so its stock
remote actually does everything with one or two presses the harmony
used to be necessary for.

> The Harmony One is a great remote so far.  Real good hand feel and
> responsiveness and a lot sleeker than the older one.  I am concerned
> with having had two bad remotes in the past, but from what I have
> read, the Harmony One has a much better build than the 880.

Despite the above, I may well get another Harmony for the evolving
and not-quite-so-slickly-put-together setup the kids use upstairs.
I'd probably go for a One right away, if not for the concern over
small children destroying it, which makes me want to not spend very
much at all on something for that setup...

Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com