[mythtv-users] Mytharchive mysteries

Jason Chambers lists at purplish-monkey.com
Sun Dec 12 22:50:25 UTC 2010

On 12/12/2010 22:27, Nick Rout wrote:
> Sorry to do this, but *bump*
>
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am confused about whether this passage in the wiki is still accurate:
>>
>> "MythArchive is only guaranteed to work on combined frontend/backends.
>> If you have MythArchive installed on a frontend-only machine it will
>> not archive the video files stored on the backend, unless the
>> recordings/video files folder is shared using NFS or CIFS (Samba) "
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythArchive
>>
>> When the 0.24 release notes say:
>>
>> "MythArchive
>> Bug Fixes
>>    * Fix adding MythVideo files when the file is stored in a storage
>> group [24878] "

When I saw this I tried MythArchive on an early 0.24 release thinking
that it would work too.  However it doesn't.

I don't remember the full details but basically after reading through
the relevant changesets and bugs it turned out to be something like how
it converted from the storage group path (stored in the DB) to the full
file name it needed to actually access the file. There wasn't actually
any streaming from the backend added.

So MythArchive still needs file system access to the shows.  But it does
work fine on a remote frontend if you NFS mount the recordings directory
which is how I use it for now.

--
Regards,
Jason