[mythtv-users] recordedseek table content

D. R. Newman d.r.newman at e-consultation.org
Sun Dec 12 22:00:03 UTC 2010

On 12/12/10 21:08, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> The only reason to ever do a multi-pass encode is if you're trying to
> fit an exact file size.  Otherwise, just set a quantizer for an
> acceptable quality, and let the codec do its thing.

Don't two pass encodings use a higher bit rate where there is a lot of
movement, and lower bit rates when there are just a few people talking?
I set Avidemux to 2-pass encode to an average bit rate of 700 bps (for
PAL originals), assuming that it would still manage the fast scenes
while not taking up too much space.

> See http://mythtv.org/wiki/Mythvidexport.py
> It already does most of those operations as a user job, plus allows user
> defined formatting of the resultant filename, and metadata pulling from
> the defined data grabbers in MythVideo.

Thanks for the reference. I knew about mytharchive, and the different
job it does, but had not come across mythvidexport.py . I take it that
it doesn't transcode the file, just moves it? (I have to ask, because
Python isn't one of the languages I have used.)