[mythtv-users] Lirc doing keypress twice with HDHomerun [solved?]

BobW bob_pub_mailbox-mytv at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 12 21:59:12 UTC 2010

Solved or a work around, not sure which.

HDHomerun double key presses fixed by removing alternate remote config
sections (removed two Hauppauge, and one Hauppauge_WinTV_Nexus-S) in
/usr/share/lirc/extras/more_remotes/hauppauge/lircd.conf.hauppauge

[Symptoms]
Running Mythbuntu 10.10 with a HDHomerun IR receiver and a remote left
over from an old Hauppauge PVR150.

With the change to 10.10 every remote keypress resulted in two actions
in mythtv. By rapidly hitting a button I sometimes could get a single
input. This behavior was not occurring with mytnbuntu 09.10 that I had
been running. (10.10 was a new install not an upgrade)

Running irw and pressing keys I saw:
00000000000017a5 00 OK Hauppauge_350
00000000000017a5 00 OK Hauppauge_350
00000000000017a5 01 OK Hauppauge_350

So I was getting two 00 inputs from a single key press

/etc/lirc/lircd.conf contained comments plus:
----------
include "/usr/share/lirc/extras/more_remotes/hauppauge/lircd.conf.hauppauge"
----------

[Experimentation]
Modified the "gap" section of the Hauppauge_350 config from
   gap          114605
   gap          200000

Stopped and restarted lircd.
Rerunning irw and pressing keys I saw: (one fairly quick press/release)
0000000000001795 00 Down Hauppauge_WinTV_Nexus-S
0000000000001795 01 Down Hauppauge_WinTV_Nexus-S
0000000000001795 02 Down Hauppauge_WinTV_Nexus-S
0000000000001795 00 Down Hauppauge_350

So I removed the remote config section for Hauppauge_WinTV_Nexus-S
begin remote

   name  Hauppauge_WinTV_Nexus-S
end remote

Stopped and restarted lircd.
Rerunning irw and pressing down, right (quickly) and up (hold) keys I saw:
0000000000001795 00 down Hauppauge
0000000000001795 00 Down Hauppauge_350
0000000000001797 00 right Hauppauge
0000000000001797 00 Right Hauppauge_350
0000000000001794 00 up Hauppauge
0000000000001794 01 up Hauppauge
0000000000001794 02 up Hauppauge
0000000000001794 03 up Hauppauge
0000000000001794 00 Up Hauppauge_350

So I removed the remote config section for Hauppauge
begin remote

   name  Hauppauge
end remote

Stopped and restarted lircd.
Rerunning irw and pressing down, right (quickly) and up (hold) keys I saw:
0000000000001795 00 down Hauppauge
0000000000001795 00 Down Hauppauge_350
0000000000001797 00 right Hauppauge
0000000000001797 00 Right Hauppauge_350
0000000000001794 00 up Hauppauge
0000000000001794 01 up Hauppauge
0000000000001794 02 up Hauppauge
0000000000001794 03 up Hauppauge
0000000000001794 00 Up Hauppauge_350

So I removed the OTHER remote config section for Hauppauge
begin remote

   name  Hauppauge
end remote

Stopped and restarted lircd.
Rerunning irw and pressing down, right (quickly) and up (hold) keys I saw:
0000000000001795 00 Down Hauppauge_350
0000000000001797 00 Right Hauppauge_350
0000000000001794 00 Up Hauppauge_350

NOTE: no matter how long I held the button down I never got a 01!

Changed the Hauppauge_350 gap setting back
   gap          114605

Stopped and restarted lircd.
Rerunning irw and pressing down, right (quickly) and up (hold) keys I saw:
0000000000001795 00 Down Hauppauge_350
0000000000001795 01 Down Hauppauge_350
0000000000001797 00 Right Hauppauge_350
0000000000001797 01 Right Hauppauge_350
0000000000001794 00 Up Hauppauge_350
0000000000001794 01 Up Hauppauge_350
0000000000001794 02 Up Hauppauge_350
0000000000001794 03 Up Hauppauge_350
0000000000001794 04 Up Hauppauge_350

AND ONLY a single action in mythtv.

So, I do not understand exactly WHY this works, but at least my remote
is functional again.

Bob Wittig