[mythtv-users] Can MythTV make use of series and episode numbers in listings?

Mike Holden mythtv at mikeholden.org
Sun Dec 12 21:03:11 UTC 2010

Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Sometimes series that have no episode names can be problematic
> in MythTV because of then having to use the description for
> duplicat detectection. Some such shows still have series and
> episode numbers. I until recently assumed that those were
> never used because the grabber I use (uk radio times), doesn't
> provide them, but the other day I had to look at the output
> of the grabber directly, and many shows had them: e.g.,
>
>    <episode-num system="xmltv_ns">7.13/15.</episode-num>
>
> Can MythTv not make use of that?
>
> I was wondering about putting a filter between the grabber
> and mythfilldatabase that in that case would put S7 on
> the end of the title, and E13 on the front of the subtitle.
> Would that be sensible?
>
> Cheers,
> 	Paul.

MythTV makes use of episode numbers in preference to subtitle for
the purpose of duplicate detection, if they exist in the listings.

It's only fairly recently that the Radio Times data has been
carrying episode numbers.

The problem I am seeing at the moment is that some programs are now
recording again, even though I have already seen them, simply
because they now have an episode number supplied, whereas last time
they aired, duplicate detection was done on the basis of the
title/subtitle combination. MythTV now sees the same episode as a
new one because the previous showing had a blank episode number.

I see no need to add the episode number to the subtitle, except
perhaps in the exceptional case of an otherwise blank subtitle.

The RT episode numbers still need some improvement, as sometimes
it's just an episode number with no series number supplied, and
sometimes the numbers are simply wrong.
--
Mike Holden

http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop
for all manner of hand crafted items,
including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts