[mythtv-users] OT: Hard drive firmware was 2 TB Hard Drive Recommendations

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Sun Dec 12 20:28:27 UTC 2010

On 12/12/2010 12:08 PM, Richard Morton wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> Sorry a little late to this thread; but have reading with interest. I
> find it confusing that there doesn't seem to be a consistent
> definition of firmware. I always thought firmware was distinct from
> embedded software. Firmware being software code that is converted to a
> representation in logic gates that are reconfigured on a chip and run
> directly at hardware speeds within a programmable logic array. Whereas
> embedded software being software that runs on a micro-controller or
> processor and runs at software speeds.
>
> The question I have (based on my above definition), is a drive run
> using firmware or embedded software?
>
> Due to the performance needs (relative) simplicity of its task, and
> cost considerations (less processing power demands, therefore simpler
> chip probably relating to a lower unit cost) I would have thought
> firmware. Thoughts?

The only difference between "firmware" and "software" is how it is stored.

Firmware is stored in rom, and is usually run when power is turned on. It is generally harder to change than software due to the
way it is stored & run.

Software is usually stored on disk, and is run at the request of the user.