[mythtv-users] Troubleshooting a CrystalHD problem in 0.24

Tom Flair tom at graniteskies.net
Sat Dec 11 04:18:52 UTC 2010

My BCM70015 arrived last week and I've finally managed to shoehorn it into
my case with the help of a mini PCI-e to PCI-e adapter and a PCI-e flex
riser cable.

I've got the libraries and kernel module built from Jarod's git tree based
off of the commit made 10 days ago.  On a cold boot, the module loads and I
can see it recognized in dmesg.

    crystalhd 0000:02:00.0: Starting Device:0x1615
    crystalhd 0000:02:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
    crystalhd 0000:02:00.0: irq 42 for MSI/MSI-X
    crystalhd 0000:02:00.0: setting latency timer to 64

Myth accepts and recognized passing along the --enable-crystalhd

    # Video Output Support
    x11 support               yes
    xrandr support            yes
    xv support                yes
    XvMC support              yes
    XvMC VLD support          no
    XvMC libs                  -lXvMCW
    VDPAU support             no
    CrystalHD support         yes
    OpenGL video              yes
    OpenGL vsync              yes
    DirectFB                  no
    MHEG support              yes

I have it setup as this:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/464075#464075
initially using OpenGL then XV with the same result.

My frontend's response when playing back a video is this:
    2010-12-10 20:15:47.879 CrystalHD Err: Error at
privatedecoder_crystalhd.cpp:104 (#-1, Unknown)
    2010-12-10 20:15:47.880 CrystalHD Err: Failed to open CrystalHD device

According to this: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Broadcom_Crystal_HD   building
the gst filter did not appear necessary.  At the very least, the wiki only
specifies to build the module and library.

I'd like to assume that since dmesg is showing the card as being recognized
that the issue is with my frontend's build of Myth.  However, I've found
that if I do a warm restart of said frontend, the module is loaded but I
don't have any confirmation that the card is found in dmesg or lspci.  I
haven't decided if this is due to my method of installing the card or what.
Shutting down completely and booting again brings the card back on line.

On my next chance (read: when my wife let's me mess with it again), I'm
going to try rebuilding it based off of the new git tree.  I'm hoping to see
if anyone else has had any of these problems with this card and successfully
resolved them before I take it down again.