[mythtv-users] Another lirc issue

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Dec 10 14:18:26 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 7:04 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Donn Washburn <n5xwb at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I do have it compiling as we type.  It has product a bunch of file.o being
>> made.  It finished
>> They look like video card drivers.
>
> There's a whole bunch of drivers in there in addition to the lirc drivers.

Yeah, its pretty much all the remote control and video capture device
drivers -- everything maintained under drivers/media/ and then some.

>> Any of you folk installed it yet?
>
> Yes, I have.

And so have I.

>>  What is the reason you need it?   Models of this type are normally built
>> into the kernel.
>
> These are the upstream sources for the modules which are now being
> distributed with the kernel.  You need these because the ones in your
> kernel are very buggy.

Well, in this case, it should be just one that has a known bug...

> This replaces them with newer versions which
> are less buggy.  (I don't believe in software which is not buggy, it's
> all a question of degree.)

But yes, the bits installed from there are theoretically less bug-laden... :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com