[mythtv-users] Options for Backing up Myth data

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Dec 9 18:06:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 10:04:39AM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Thursday, December 09, 2010 09:43:45 am Raymond Wagner wrote:
[deletia]
> So no matter what method you choose, you must put up with a serious
> potential problem in some way.
>
> Risk dropping a drive, risk media degrading, do a lot of media changing
> (ie: time) or spend a lot of money. Each method seems to have some sort
> of fatal flaw, or more than one.
>
> I guess the experience with tape drives in the past has shown backup
> devices to be a hard sell to consumers, most of whom would rather have

    You also have quality issues with various types of tapes. They aren't
all created equal and some of them don't yield any advantage in being able
to recover your data.

    Even companies use cheap tape tech that really isn't suitable for
consumer use simply because the more robust devices and media tend to
be rather expensive.

    Interestingly enough, these days you have hard drives being thrown
into the mix with large scale Enterprise tape backup systems.

> some new toy that gets used *now*, and not just potentially needed in
> the event of a problem that might never happen.

[deletia]