[mythtv-users] Issues with playback - 0.24-fixes - vdpau

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 18:03:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Enigma <enigma at thedonnerparty.com> wrote:
> This sounds very similar to my issue here:
>
> I have created a ticket for this issue at
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9344 , if it sounds like the same
> issue to you then it might help the devs if you posted your
> configuration on the ticket - it is usually easier to find a problem
> if you have more than 1 data point.

Yeah, there have been a lot of posts, but I have not browsed the bugs.
 It happens to me on all content - atsc mpeg2 is what I mostly watch,
and I have not (yet) done any serious debugging.  I'll try get to it
tonight when I get home and post logs to bugs I think match my issues.
 The OSD issue is more of a nuisance than the random hiccups now
though.  I do not know what kind of cache or whatever the system uses,
but I can bring up the OSD all day and night if they are in succession
or within say 20 or so minutes, but once I let the system play for a
while and press it again, it freezes the video for a moment while it
comes up.  It is worse with the more complex Arclight theme, but
happens with them all nonetheless.  It happens with and without opengl
painting, but worse with opengl.  I am also confused on these points
since I thought vdpau did it's own painting now, but it apparently
does not since when set to QT, I get no fades, and when set to opengl
I get fades.  The fade setting in my tv playback section make no
difference whatsoever (I have tested the whole possible matrix of
those settings).  The whole what needs to be set where for the mixture
of XORG/VDPAU/OPENGL/VSYNC/OSD PAINTER is hard to figure out for
nvidia since I do not know what options were old and which were new
since I am 2.5 versions new to this  :)  I *will* update a wiki page
if I can find something that works as it is clear from the posts to
this list that others are having similar issues.  Unfortunately I have
not found the correct combo as of yet.  With 0.23, it was working
fine, but I guess some new things that use the hardware's capabilities
more have come about that I have not configured for.  I would blame it
on hardware, but unless you want to buy a $2500 gaming rig, as far as
a pure multimedia workstation goes, nothing much faster is even
available...

-Greg