[mythtv-users] git & wiki

Ian Kent raven at themaw.net
Wed Dec 8 13:57:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 14:05 +0100, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> On 2010-12-08 13:54, Ian Kent wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 14:20 +0100, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> (...)
> >> Of course we can dig into the manuals, but if you value that people
> >> build their won stuff, a few lines of howto info would help us quite a
> >> bit and save a few half hours.
> >
> > I disagree.
> >
> > Unfortunately, along with the git good stuff comes some hurdles.
> > People need to read (or at least skim first time around) git oriented
> > documents and , here, probably st svn git related stuff. I've been using
> > git for a few years and I often still have to search for howto documents
> > and I'm still not up with the good stuff either.
> >
> > Bookmark them, check'em out, it's worth it.
>
> You contradict yourself.

No, I don't think so, maybe you just don't agree with me, which is fine.

> Of course we need to learn the new tools.
> But a quick howto can at least get us up and running.
> The few git commands that I posted could be a base from which people can
> start building their mythtv again.
> The extra stuff they could figure out themselves.
>
> E.g.: I still need to find out how to get the git commit number we're at
> to adjust the name of the mythtv rpms.

git show HEAD | head -1 | awk '{print $2}'

but that shows the full commit id. You probably only want to use the
first 8 digits of that. Other git tools get things right when the first
8 digits is provided and there hasn't been any time that I have tried to
use just the first 8 digits that has not returned the commit I was
after.