[mythtv-users] git & wiki

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 8 13:05:49 UTC 2010

On 2010-12-08 13:54, Ian Kent wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 14:20 +0100, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
(...)
>> Of course we can dig into the manuals, but if you value that people
>> build their won stuff, a few lines of howto info would help us quite a
>> bit and save a few half hours.
>
> I disagree.
>
> Unfortunately, along with the git good stuff comes some hurdles.
> People need to read (or at least skim first time around) git oriented
> documents and , here, probably st svn git related stuff. I've been using
> git for a few years and I often still have to search for howto documents
> and I'm still not up with the good stuff either.
>
> Bookmark them, check'em out, it's worth it.

You contradict yourself.
Of course we need to learn the new tools.
But a quick howto can at least get us up and running.
The few git commands that I posted could be a base from which people can
start building their mythtv again.
The extra stuff they could figure out themselves.

E.g.: I still need to find out how to get the git commit number we're at
to adjust the name of the mythtv rpms.

Put this in a context where a not-SMART announcement is made: it is not
said when they will move, when they will be done moving, what svn is the
last svn commit or anything else. The text on the website is still not
adjusted to the supposed current situation. (are we done moving? what
was the last svn commit?)
We are just thrown into the git manuals and everybody expects stuff to
work well.

Udo