[mythtv-users] MythBuntu 10.10 Lirc Issue

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Dec 8 04:45:35 UTC 2010

On Dec 7, 2010, at 7:44 PM, Mitchell Gore wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>
> > Im confused...so is there a fix?  Do i just need to wait it out?
>
> Go here:
>
> http://git.linuxtv.org/media_build.git/
>
> Clone the repo, then ./build.sh should handle just about everything
> automagically for building, then install the result. There's some
> additional documentation in the tree as well.
>

> For Fedora users, just grab the latest F14 kernel out of koji.
>

> I've had some slowness with the remote too, but nothing like being described here.  It was just a lag.
>
> However, I've tried the latest kernel in f14 (kernel-2.6.35.9-64.fc14.x86_64) and it's working much better now.
>
> thanks

Yep, the bits in that kernel are, so far as I know, very solid,
nothing I'm aware of that isn't working perfectly in the major
usage drivers (though I have at least one report of lirc_serial
not transmitting anymore, which I need to look into)...

> Yea Fedora seems to be further ahead of the curve then Ubuntu.

Well, I have direct commit access to the Fedora kernel, and Fedora
doesn't have as stringent a policy on what can go into a new kernel
build for a released distro, which has both its plusses and its
minuses. In this case, its a plus. I did submit patches to Canonical
to get their kernel up to speed, but they won't apply them unless
they're in an upstream stable tree, which doesn't work so hot when
they took in 2.6.36 IR patches already for their 2.6.35 kernel...
And so Ubuntu's kernel-provided IR stack is likely to be partly
broken until 11.04 comes around. Might be an out-of-tree backports
module that shows up at some point though.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com