[mythtv-users] Blank white screen in .24

Shocky Shocky1 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 8 00:13:41 UTC 2010

On December 7, 2010 01:10:08 pm Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
wrote:
> >> I've been through all the MythTV setup with no problems, all the correct
> >> devices showed up in the probes. Channel scanning worked, although every
> >> channel is listed in the scan as locked. Does that mean MythTV thinks
> >> it's encrypted?
>
> No, it's a bug.  I've got a fix for it but haven't pushed it upstream yet.

Okay, thanks. As long as it's not breaking anything I won't worry about it.

> >> When I try to watch live tv or record all I get is a white screen.
> >> Actually,
> >> on live tv I get the OSD appearing with the correct channel info, and a
> >> dark
> >> blue background. When the OSD disappears, the blue background stays for
> >> a couple of seconds, then it all turns white. Recordings are just all
> >> white from
> >> the start. I haven't found anything in the verbose output from
> >> mythfrontend to
> >> suggest to me what's wrong.
>
> Blue background usually means the decoder didn't detect a signal.  Are
> you using the tuner input?  s-video?  composite?

I made sure I'm using the television input.

I should note that this is not a solid bright blue like I would get in tvtime
if there were no signal. This is a somewhat mottled very dark blue.

> Also, do you have ATSC or ClearQAM configured?  If so, it's possible
> that MythTV is trying to use both the digital and analog inputs at the
> same time (which you can avoid by putting both inputs into the same
> input group).

I didn't do anything to configure ATSC or ClearQAM. I did make sure the input
source was set to NTSC. But I'll check this out and see.

> It's also just possible that the driver is broken with MythTV.  I
> haven't any cycles to test with MythTV, and lord knows that MythTV has
> been known to expose bugs in other drivers that don't appear when
> using other applications.

Do you know how I might go about determining if it's a driver problem? I don't
mind doing the leg work to track this down, but I'd need a little guidance. I
know my way around Linux pretty well, and I am a developer, but my knowledge
of the internals of video drivers and MythTV is pretty slim.

> Devin

Thanks,
Shocky