[mythtv-users] migrating from 0.23 to new server running 0.24

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 7 02:39:17 UTC 2010

  On 12/06/2010 08:43 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 5 December 2010 06:10, Jack Lockard wrote:
>> I currently have an 0.23 mythbuntu setup.  I'm looking to migrate to a new
>> server running 0.24.  My plan is:
>> 1)  Backup database on old server (mythbuntu 0.23)
>> 2)  Upgrade old server to 0.24
>> 3)  Backup the 0.24 database on old server
>> 4)  Copy recordings&  videos to same directory structure on new server
>> 5)  Restore the 0.24 database on new server running 0.24
>> Am I missing anything?

You could, far more easily:

1) Backup 0.23 database on old server
2) Copy recordings & videos to same directory structure on new server
3) Restore the 0.23 database on new server running 0.24 (using a /full/
restore, as at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Full_restore_of_a_specific_backup_file
)

and update host name, if you didn't use the same one (as below).

When you start up mythtv-setup (or mythbackend--but I /highly/ recommend
using mythtv-setup) for 0.24-fixes, it will upgrade the database schema
in place, so no need to use the old server to upgrade it.

> Make sure you update the various hostnames

Very good point--and one you don't want to forget.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend

> Or call your new server the same name as the old one.

Using the same name is definitely the best/easiest approach.

Mike