[mythtv-users] 2 TB Hard Drive Recommendations

Brent Norris brent at brentnorris.net
Mon Dec 6 20:46:32 UTC 2010

On 12/5/2010 10:27 PM, Dean Collins wrote:
> Jean,
>
> I bought my drives "during" the firmware disaster.
>
> I'm no it guru but my understanding was the firmware I upgraded wasd to
> fix a problem these drives had with raid implementations.
>
> I'd actually received but not installed the drives just as the issue was
> announced and 2 weeks later they solved the problem which is when I
> broke open the seals, updated the drives one by one and installed them.
>
> Since then no issues at all 24 x7 run time.

We have 15 of the Firmware issue 1.5TB Seagate drives in a RAID6 all of
them on supposedly the correct firmware to avoid any issue.  We have
RMA'd 9 drives from this array.  Never had a failure of one of the
refurbs that they send us.

We bought a 16th drive after the first one failed, so that we would have
a spare to swap in right away.  We have never had a failure during a
rebuild but there has been one occasion were we failed one within a day
of a rebuild being complete.

I just recently bought 4 of the 2TB green drives for my backend storage
system.  I bought them instead of the $20 cheaper Seagate 2TB, because
in the comments on Newegg there were the exact same complaints as the
1.5TB drives and I just can't trust them.

Brent