[mythtv-users] Options for Backing up Myth data

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 20:19:07 UTC 2010

>> From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm at gmail.com>
>> I think this is the best answer for users with greater than 100GB and
>> less than 20TB in a non business environment. With less than 100GB I
>> think the online backup services become a possibility. And greater
>> than 20TB or in a business I would go LTO3/4/5 tape.
>
> FWIW: >20TB is *8* LTO-4 tapes for a single backup... 4 LTO-5s.

The one problem is LTO5 tapes are 2.5 to 3 times the cost of LTO4 and
drives are also 1.5 to 2 times the price of LTO4. So LTO4 can be more
economical if you don't mind switching tapes. I actually have an LTO2
2 drive 24 slot autochanger at work. This has begun loose its value
since LTO2 tapes are the same price as LTO4. But we paid $5000 for the
changer in 2006 and we now have 100 LTO2 tapes full..

John