[mythtv-users] XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

stan stanlist at cox.net
Mon Dec 6 17:13:56 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
wrote:

>>> Newegg has a NVIDA 8400-based PCI card for less than $40. That's
>>> what I am thinking of buying. The only problem I see with this card
>>> is that it has 256 MBytes of RAM. Would this amount of RAM be a deal
>>> breaker and it'd be better to go with another card that has 512 MBytes
of RAM?

>> VDPAU in MythTV really isn't happy with less than 512MB of memory.  A
>> quick check of newegg means the price is bumped up to $50.

I have an Intel D945PSN mobo (dual 2.8 GHz CPU) that was running a now
broken Sapphire ATI 800GT graphics card.  The video buss is PCI Express X16.
I'm not sure if that PCI Express is version 1.0 or 1.1.

I'm looking to replace the graphics card, and $50 is within budget.  Are you
guys recommending nVideo VDPAU for MythTV as well as windows Netflix
streaming?  If so, which 8400 based 512 MB card are you talking about -- I'm
interested.

BTW, it looks like all PCI Express X16 video cards sold today are PCI
Express version 2.0.  Is there an issue running these on a PCI Express
version 1.0 or 1.1 mobo?

Thanks,
Stan