[mythtv-users] XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Juhani Rautiainen jrauti at iki.fi
Sun Dec 5 20:00:26 UTC 2010

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010, Brian Wood wrote:

> Of course they were using highly-optimized code for the DVD player, so
> it might be better to say that 750 Mhz. is required to decode SD mpeg2
> in software. Myth does more than just play the file, so it would need a
> little more than just decoding would require.

I'm using ffmpeg decoding in playback and it consumes 25-30% of Pentium-M
running at 800 MHz (which can scale up to 1.73 GHz). Even when recording
with one channel with DVB-C and doing simultaneous playback and
commercial detection it seldom went over 800 MHz in 0.23-fixes. With
0.24-fixes CPU goes to 1.73 GHz and commercial detection ends almost same
time as recording.

> Of course h264 is an entirely different story.

My machine can't handle this at all. That's why I'm looking passive single
slot VPDAU card. But atleast in Finland they are hard to find:(.

Juhani
Juhani Rautiainen				jrauti at iki.fi