[mythtv-users] HD-PVR failure

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 18:25:20 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Sunday, December 05, 2010 10:58:01 am James Orr wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I read your post again and you said minimum of 3A, I was
> > looking for 2A because that's what my existing power supply says.
> >
> > I did find this 3A one:  http://amzn.com/B002S2O51I - it only has 1
> > bad review though, the 2.5A might be better.
> >
> > Here's a pic of my power supply:
> > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1194298/IMG_20101205_125555.jpg
>

> Hmmm, Mine says "Nebit" and definitely says 3A. Otherwise it looks very
> similar.
>
> I don't know how much current the unit actually draws, but I always try
> to get something with more current than the stated requirement if I can.
>
> But the suggestion to contact Hauppauge is probably a good idea.
>
> Of course we don't know the problem is with the power supply, I only
> mentioned that because it is a fairly common fault.
>
> It would be easy to test if you had a spare 5V supply in your junk
> drawer, but you don't. (You may have a SO who prohibits "junk drawers",
> in my case it's more like a "junk garage").
>
> I really hate to suggest buying a replacement power brick from somewhere
> like Radio Shack, and returning it if it turns out to not be the
> problem, but that is a possibility.
>
> The ubiquitous USB type power supplies are generally rated at less than
> an amp (USB port spec is 500ma.), so they won't help you.
>
> We have a junk basement :).  There are some power supplies down there, but
none for 5V.  There is my PSP power supply, but that's 1.5A.

At the moment my options appear to be ...

1) Look into a return (either through amazon or hauppauge?)
2) Replace power supply
3) Replace HD-PVR

If I can't do 1, I'm going to do 2 before I do 3, because even if it isn't
the power supply it's only $10 which is a lot less than $185.  I have 23
hours to order the power supply and still get it by Tuesday, so I'll
research 1 tomorrow morning and if it doesn't pan out order a power supply.