[mythtv-users] MythBuntu 10.10 Lirc Issue

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sun Dec 5 16:34:11 UTC 2010

On Dec 5, 2010, at 9:55 AM, Tom Flair wrote:

> Scratch that, I just fixed my problem.  Apparently I had installed the external module at some point on and forgotten about it.  Blocklisted the lirc_mceusb and everything is perfect again.
> 15 minutes later, response time is back to a crawl, back to the drawing board.

There was a buffer parsing buglet in the mceusb driver at some point in
time, which has long since been fixed, but its quite possible that it
was present in the ubuntu 10.10 kernel and upstream 2.6.36. You can try
building a newer mceusb from the v4l/dvb repo (I wouldn't even suggest
using 2.6.37-rcX's version right now, I need to get some patches over to
Mauro to send to Linus for rc5 to fix a bug there as well).

For those curious why there's some instability in the mceusb driver...
Well, the buffer parsing routines were completely rewritten to use a
state machine, rather than the prior fugly loop it had, and an edge case
or two weren't caught initially. These changes were needed to properly
support a new hybrid device from Conexant, which is a combined tuner/ir
device, the ir portion of which is now handled by the mceusb driver.

Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list