[mythtv-users] XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Dec 5 16:28:05 UTC 2010

On 12/5/2010 09:33, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> I agree that VDPAU (and similar) and OpenGL are the way forward for HD
> content, but Xv and XvMC are still perfectly good for SD content.
> For example, I have a small TV in the Kitchen. There is no sensible
> reason for me to purchase a HD capable STB when the TV is only 17
> inches and has no HDMI connector.

It has nothing to do with the content it is usable with, and everything
to do with the direction we want to take the presentation of MythTV.  Xv
has no OSD support to speak of.  Any overlays must be rendered to the
size of the video, converted to YUV, and baked into the video.  XvMC has
OSD support, but it is very primitive, and ends up being more limiting
than Xv.  The fact that XvMC has been unnecessary for any desktop
processor made in the past five years, and $25 gets you a video card
plenty capable of handling the OpenGL painter, has just made the
decision an easier one.