[mythtv-users] Backend crash. Do I have too few hard drives?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sun Dec 5 10:21:27 UTC 2010

On 04/12/2010 17:32, Andre wrote:
> Well it's not the same problem I had with the 1TB samsung drives, they would need power cycling before working again.
>
> It's not a Samsung F4 by any chance? If so see this thread: WARNING: Samsung F4 owners / warning. Disable smartmontools

Just checked and it's a spinpoint F3. I hadn't considered the HDD,
although it is something I've just added, and it is being used
only by MythTv, which is the only program showing a problem.

I had another backend problem last night. I had an SD recording
on the go, and I tried watching an HD channel live. I got "please wait"
for a moment and then back to the menu. A recording appeared in the
recording list, which deleting had no effect on (that's a liveTv
program appearing in my record list - that's never happened before).
Mythweb became increasingly unresponsive: e.g., the channel listings
would appear about 1 channel every minute, and backend status wouldn't
return at all. Restarting apache didn't help with that. Strangely,
the SD recording carried on to completion. The only untoward signs
in the log was mythbackend complaining about the file for the livetv
recording not being there. Everything was fine after restarting
mythbackend: I could delete the recording, and livetv was back working.
Strange, hey!

Paul.