[mythtv-users] How to force initial live tv channel [0.23 fixes]

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 22:03:13 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 19:22 +0000, malcolm wrote:
> Is there any way I can force the starting channel so live TV always
> starts on my channel of preference,

Hi;

*** I tested the following under master, not 0.23. ***

I posted a method mid year, but it no longer works.

So, here's a new version (that tested OK):

Create a file with the following and make it executable:

sleep 5
netcat yourfrontendhostname 6546 << EOF
play chanid 1051
quit
EOF

Then fire up the mythfrontend and go to Utilities/Setup,
Setup, System Event Handlers, scroll down to LiveTV started
and enter the path to the file you just created.

You must make Enable Network Remote Control Interface active.
Its under Setup, General, Remote Control (last screen.)

Restart the frontend. You may need to adjust the sleep time
in the script (and the chanid, of course.) It won't start on
your preferred channel, but it will switch to it.

Take care,

Bill Meek