[mythtv-users] Remote Control via (TV) IR => HDMI => Mythtv

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Dec 3 20:44:57 UTC 2010

On Dec 3, 2010, at 3:03 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> On 12/3/2010 14:45, tortise wrote:
>> Searching the archives I find stuff about getting an audio route over HDMI, but nothing about full remote control over HDMI.  Can anyone comment on this?
> HDMI supports remote control through the CEC framework.  I've heard of a few Toshiba laptops that support using this through custom drivers, but the only (rather expensive) universal solution I've heard of is this external passthrough box, with USB.
> http://rainshadowtech.com/default_files/HDMICECUSB.htm

I may need to pick one of those up... Its in the plans for the
kernel's remote control layer to implement support for HDMI-CEC
at some point (we even discussed it a bit at the Linux Plumbers
Conference last month), but nobody had hardware yet. There's a
belief that most video cards don't have the necessary bits wired
up for us to get at CEC directly though, so someone was looking
at the possibility of a break-out box that would pass through
audio and video bits, but grab CEC and make bi-directional access
to it available via usb or serial...

See also:

Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com