[mythtv-users] Flash, VDPAU, MythNetVision and You

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Dec 3 19:09:02 UTC 2010

On 12/03/2010 11:10 AM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2010, at 9:07 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 11:55 PM, Jarod Wilson<jarod at wilsonet.com>  wrote:
>>> Okay, I've held out a few hours to see if anyone else would post
>>> first, but I can't resist. (Plus, about to head to bed).
>>>
>>> Adobe just posted a flash player 10.2 beta binary, with VDPAU support,
>>> and initial testing shows marginally>  0% cpu utilization playing back
>>> 1080p flash video.
>>>
>>> So all those ion boxes just got a lot more interesting (and the
>>> crystalhd got a bit less interesting at the same time). Should make
>>> mythnetvision a lot more usable for a fair number of people...
>>>
>>> I certainly plan to poke at it more Real Soon Now. Annoyed that they
>>> continue to let 64-bit support lag -- develop with 64-bit support in
>>> mind to begin with (or develop *only* on 64-bit), then 32-bit support
>>> is a piece of cake. Ugh. Anyway...
>>>
>>> http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/stagevideo.html
>>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=adobe_linux_vdpau&num=1
>>
>> I assume since only 32-bit versions are available that I'll need the
>> 32-bit Nvidia libs on my 64-bit system?
>

> Yeah, I'd count on it. 64-bit browser can of course use the 32-bit
> plugin by way of nspluginwrapper, but once you're in the 32-bit
> plugin, everything it uses is going to need to be 32-bit too.

There IS a full 64 bit version for linux available. It appears to be one
step behind the 32bit 10.2 version, as it is a 'pre-3' to the release,
but like its predecessor it works.
No install instructions. Untar and put the resulting libflashplayer in

/usr/lib64/flash-plugin

Restart your firefox browser. Enjoy.

(It appears that putting the .so into /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins will
also work.)

Go here:  http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/square/

Geoff

--