[mythtv-users] XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 18:17:50 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 1:12 PM, nospam312 <nospam312 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> libmpeg2 - A high proportion of problems reported to us can be traced
>> back to libmpeg2, we want MythTV to be as stable as possible and the
>> advantages of libmpeg2 are outweighed by the negatives. Like XvMC, it
>> complicates the code in ways that make it harder to maintain.
> If you remove libmpeg2 does that mean we can't playback any mpeg2
> based recording - e.g. Freeview in the UK?
> It seems you are removing a core feature of MythTV?
> Can you explain what libmpeg2 does?
> If I have an oldish machine without VDPAU does this mean I can no
> longer playback any recordings?

libmpeg2 is just a decoding library for mpeg2, it has basically been
replaced by the use of ffmpeg, but from what I understand was left in
as a just-in-case for when ffmpeg may have issues on certain user
hardware, or with certain users files.

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -