[mythtv-users] XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 17:34:14 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> The problem with VDPAU is with older AGP motherboards, for which the
> only alternative to XvMC for hardware acceleration is to use a PCI card
> supporting VDPAU, but in that case you are screwed if you have a codec
> not supported by VDPAU, but of course XvMC only helps with MPEG2 in any
> case,
>
> CrystalHD support would be great (since I own a couple of the modules).
>
> I've seen a lot of Atom platforms with Intel graphics, not ION, that
> problem has caused me to pass up several hardware options. Being able to
> use Intel graphics hardware would nice, especially as a lot of laptops
> use it.
>
> But, as I said, your moves make sense, and the long warning time is
> greatly appreciated. I also understand that trying to continue to
> support "legacy" hardware will delay other improvements to Myth in
> general.
>
> Thanks again for the heads up.

Legacy hardware is an issue, but I wonder how many people are still
using it? My headaches with XvMC led me to suck it up and buy better
CPU's, then when VDPAU arrived, to buy hardware that supported that.

Since then, I've recently purchased 3 ION systems, two for my house
and one for my parents. All three cost me $200(US$ in the US) each and
all three play back my HDPVR 1080i content with Temporal 2x perfectly.
I've noticed the price on the Atom330 based ION's have dropped
considerably since the ION2 platform was released. Actually, the one
my parents got was a single core, for $218US (taxes), the two I got
later, for my house, are dual core (330) and came in slightly under
$200US. Of course, you have to add your own remote control device, but
I figure as an upgrade path those are already being used, and can be
had for under $20US as well

Hopefully VA-API will be supported soon in some fashion and this will
allow the intel graphics hardware to accelerate playback, especially
on laptops that have it and no ability to support the CrystalHD
miniPCI devices.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!