[mythtv-users] hvr-1600 vs pvr-500 for capturing

Bob bob_ml at stuffofmine.com
Wed Dec 1 18:10:09 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 09:26 -0600, mike at grounded.net wrote:
> I thought I would ask this question in this list before deciding on my next box.
> I have an hvr-1600 which I use for ATSC and I bought a couple of pvr-500 which I was going to use specifically for capturing.
>
> I built a system and was testing analog input into the hvr-1600. The colors are dim, and there is a sort of pattern on top of the video image. I haven't spent a lot of time on that yet thinking I might be getting a new box today.
>
> So what I was wondering, in order to know how many slots I'll need, is if there is a quality difference on the analog capture side between the Hauppauge hvr-1600 and the pvr-500? In other words, is one card better over the other?

I haven't used the PVR-500, but I have used the 150 and 350.
I also have a HVR-1600

Over all the quality is about the same once everything is set up
correctly, however I did find that the 1600 is more sensitive to
input signal level. My level was actually too high and I needed
to add an attenuator to get a reasonable picture.

Bob