[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun PRIME

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Dec 1 06:29:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some posit that firewire capture =
> copy freely, but they are governed by different policies entirely on
> the headend and while this would be generally good policy, my
> experience from having worked in a headend is that making this kind of
> logical leap is bound to be wrong in real-life scenarios.

Given all the voodoo that seems to be required to get firewire
recording working correctly, I'm hoping that copy freely > firewire
capture.

It's my (possibly flawed) understanding that if you have a Motorola
based set top box, you can get it to go into a diagnostic mode which
will display the current value of the redistribution control flag for
the current channel and that this will be the same information used by
the HDHR Prime to figure out if it can send the decrypted data to a
non-DRM supporting host.

See:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Configuration

This should allow some people to figure out how much they would likely
be able to record without actually purchasing anything.  Of course,
even if a channel is marked as clear now, that's no guarantee that it
will be clear at any point in the future.

I have plenty of channels with RC == 0 which I still can't get working
over firewire.

Eric