[mythtv-users] Why would 1 channel be bad quality?

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 18:13:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 1:51 PM, James Hall <Hall.JamesR at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a system running 22-fixes that I installed fairly fresh several
> months ago. I had an old system but botched an upgrade so I started over
> fresh. Ever since, I've had one single channel that seems like it has a
> really low bitrate set. The video is very blocky and artifacty. It looks
> fine on a regular tv. All my other channels look great on the mythtv box.
> This is true whether it is a recording or livetv. I checked my recording
> profiles but even with all of the normal ones set to 720x480 and fairly high
> bitrates (7000-10000) just to try to get rid of this and I'm still getting
> it. I didn't check the transcoding profiles, those shouldn't be running
> somehow right?

Have you attached a TV to the cable that goes into your MythTV box?  My
father has this on the CBS channel.  It's the strength of signal coming in
for that channel on the cable going to the MythTV box where it looks fine on
the TV upstairs.  Putting in different cable fixed it for him.  Ok I don't
know all the specs, he's the electrical person, but he has all these
different kind of cable, and rattle of something about the cable he put in
that fixed it.  Not gold plated or anything, it can just handle more
bandwidth or something.  I can ask him if you really want to know.

Now I had more than 1 channel, like 15 like this, what fixed it for me was a
signal booster.

Anyways, just my 2cents, YMMV

> Anything I could be missing?
>
> Thanks,