[mythtv-users] another scheduling strangeness/question

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Aug 30 15:30:06 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-08-28 at 14:28 -0500, David Engel wrote:

> Something is causing the scheduler to not consider showings on 63 CKWS
> or to consider showings on 10 CKWS first.

Indeed.

> That's most likely caused
> by one of two things.  Either your recording rule isn't matching what
> you think it is matching

[ Don't answer any of this until you read below as it becomes more
clear ]  But if that's the case, why would I see the two showings both
with solid-green-lined boxes around them (indicates will be recorded
doesn't it?) in mythweb's listings grid then?  Additionally, mythweb has
the same URL for the showing when I click on either of them, indicating
that mythtv truly does see both of these showings as the exact same
thing, yes?

FWIW, the rule that is matching this program is a Power Search with the
Search Phrase:

program.title like '% Oprah Winfrey %'

And is set to "Record at any time on any channel."

> Since later showings on 63 CKWS that do get scheduled have the same -2
> priority as the earlier showings on 10 CKWS, I suspect the former case
> where the rule isn't matching.

Even give the evidence I provide above?

> Here's a few things to try to help further diagnose the problem.
>
> First, double check your priorities just to be sure the showings on 63
> CKWS have the same priority as those on 10 CKWS.

Both 63 CKWS and 10 CKWS have a channel priority of 0.

> Second, go into mythtv-setup and mark 10 CKWS as invisible.  Do the
> showings on 63 CKWS get scheduled then or does nothing get scheduled
> at 13:00?

They get scheduled on 63 CKWS.  Here's two printsched outputs.  First
one is with 10 CKWS invisible and the second is with it visible:

http://brian.interlinx.bc.ca/schedule-10-invisible.txt
http://brian.interlinx.bc.ca/schedule-10-visible.txt

I have compared them and it's not lost on me that there is a slight
naming difference between the 10 CKWS and the 63 CKWS showings.  The 63
one is "The Oprah Winfrey Show - "Best of [...]" whereas the 10 one is
"The Oprah Winfrey Show".  However, per the above where I mention that
mythweb sees both showings as identical and even has the same URL for
both the showings the detail for that showing says:

The Oprah Winfrey Show
[ no subtitle ]

Yet the mythweb program listings matrix says for both 10 and 63:

The Oprah Winfrey Show:
Best of Oprah: Oprah Says Goodbye to Nate Berkus: The Grand Finale

So there is definitely some inconsistency in mythweb's display of the
guide data which has led me so far down this path.  :-(

Now, given that the "10-invisible" printsched shows:

The Oprah Winfrey Show - "Best of    63 CKWS    01 13:00-14:00  2 0 0  A P -2

and the "10-visible" printsched shows:

The Oprah Winfrey Show               10 CKWS    01 13:00-14:00  1 4 4  A 4 -2

It (now that I have discovered mythweb's inconsistencies) seems pretty
clear that the program data for 63 CKWS is more accurate than the
program data for 10 CKWS and the 63 showing is not being recorded
because it's already been recorded, but the 10 showing is "generic" and
thus being recorded.

I wonder though, isn't there room for the scheduler to be a bit smarter
here and given that it knows 10 CKWS is exactly the same as 63 CKWS,
substitute (even if only just logically, while it's generating the
schedule) 63's data for 10's when 63's is more accurate, and thus not
even show a recording for the 10 CKWS showing?

> Are you using EIT on your digital inputs?

No.  I don't belive EIT is available on my cableco's clearqam.

> That
> could introduce subtle differences in spacing, case or spelling.

Well, the printsched output certainly sees a difference yet mythweb
doesn't.

b.