[mythtv-users] Need a second opinion regarding choppy video playback suspicions

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 02:57:14 UTC 2010

> I have a newly built (second) remote frontend which has choppy video
> playback.  It is outputting SD to a standard NTSC-M TV display via
> S-video, using an add-on NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS PCI video card.
> (FWIW, CPU is Athlon II x2 245 2900MHz.)

I'm also outputting to NTSC via S-Video from a GS 8400 PCI. However my
CPU is a 1.4GHz P3. Further, I have underclocked the GPU to 333MHz and
have no trouble playing 720p60 and 1080i30 (onefield deint) content,
even with timestretch... so I don't think your card is the problem. I
have, however, run nvidia-settings (and of course I'm using VDPAU).
The following excerpts may be of interest:

xorg.conf
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 256.35  (buildmeister at builder101)  Wed Jun
16 19:25:59 PDT 2010

Section "ServerLayout"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "TV-0"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 8400 GS"
    Option         "Coolbits" "1"
    Option         "OnDemandVBlankInterrupts" "True"

Section "Screen"
    Option         "TwinView" "0"
    Option         "metamodes" "720x480 +0+0; 640x480 +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24

~/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.35.rc
0/SyncToVBlank=0