[mythtv-users] Upnp, dlna, interval Upnp updates on multicast 239.255.255.250 port 1900

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 16:52:21 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 8/29/2010 12:15, Ole Rydahl wrote:
>
> I modified “Upnp Media Update Time” using mythTV Setup to 5 minutes. From
> the backend log it is clear that something is then done every 5 minutes, but
> the updates on the multicast address is unchanged - 30 minutes (Captured by
> Wireshark).
>
> The UPnP server in MythTV performs its own scan of video content stored in
> MythVideo, rather than using that in the database.  The 'media update time'
> is how often it will run that scan.  It has nothing to do with how frequent
> your TV will refresh its listing.

I have several renderers as well as several servers in the house to
play with and I can say they all behave differently.  Usually bouncing
the multicast address is the safest way to get the renderer to
*notice* a new or modified server.  Most of my renderers appear to
poll the device for capabilities and listings every time I ask for
info though.  I do not have any that run off of any type of cache
(verified previously with tcpdumps) which actually upset me because I
was using wireless at that time and was trying to decrease traffic..
No such luck.