[mythtv-users] WOL problem - Via Epia EN (via-velocity)

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Sun Aug 29 10:34:06 UTC 2010

Hi!

I know that a lot of you are using WOL in order to wake up frontends and slave backends. I can't seem to make it work (fully) so I thought I'd ask here. Feel free to point me elsewhere, but Google hasn't been my friend thus far.

I have a diskless combined frontend and slave backend, running on a Via Epia EN motherboard, which has a via-velocity on-board NIC. I can make it wake up using a magic packet, but only after the power to the motherboard has been cut completely (by pulling and reinserting the power cord), not after the machine has been shut down.

I believe that this tells me that the BIOS is set correctly, but that WOL is being disabled or not being re-enabled in the shutdown sequence, or just not working in my kernel version, or that the shutdown sequence is somehow interacting with the diskless nature of the machine, or .... However, the Ethernet port's carrier LED is lit green after shutdown, same as after the power has been cut and restored. Green means carrier at 100Mbit/s; when the machine is on this LED is amber because that is what corresponds with carrier at 1Gbit/s.

The machine runs Mythbuntu 9.04 with kernel version 2.6.28-19-generic.

I've already included the following lines in /etc/network/interfaces, but I suspect they don't do anything because once eth0 is down the machine no longer has access to files such as /etc/network/interfaces, ifconfig and ethtool...

	post-down ifconfig eth0 up
	post-down ethtool -s eth0 wol g

Any hints would be gratefully received.

Thanks, Jan