[mythtv-users] Cheap Remote and receiver sale

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Aug 27 14:44:26 UTC 2010

On Friday, August 27, 2010 08:35:48 am Dewey Smolka wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 8:16 AM, Jeff Artz <jeffa.myth at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Dan Wilga
> >
> > <mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't know about this specific remote, but I seem to recall that on
> >> other media center remotes the logo is just a sticker, and can be
> >> removed or replaced with something more appropriate. (I think somebody
> >> was using the Tux logo.)
>
> Here's a tux logo I came up with a couple years ago.
>
> I've got no problem with 'Microsoft' being on the remote itself --
> they made it after all.

No they didn't, they paid someone else to design and build it, then just stamp their name on it. At most they produced
some loose specifications for the device. It was built in China by some company most of us have never heard of.

Without this sort of marketing it might be easier to figure out if a particular piece of hardware will work with Linux or
Myth, since often the same device is sold under many different names, and units with the same name are actually different.

If there was less of this sort of thing happening we wouldn't have to go through a list of 30 or 40 "Brands" to figure out
if the eggs we just bought were recalled or not.