[mythtv-users] Bit-perfect audio over HDMI

Dave Badia dbadia at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 20:38:02 UTC 2010

Hi, I'm currently using an optical connection for my audio between
mythtv and my receiver and have bit-perfect audio for mythmusic.  In
preparation for myth supporting blue ray and the lossless audio codecs
which will accompany them (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD which require HDMI
of course), I've begun experimenting with outputting both video and
audio over HDMI from my nvidia GT220 card.  Of course, I'd like to
maintain my current state of bit-perfect audio when playing music.
Does anyone have this working over HDMI?  Given that only certain
sound cards support the 44.1k sampling rate, do video cards have the
same issue?

I ask (as opposed to trial & error) because currently the only HDMI
device I have is my TV which of course won't accept 44.1k as audio
input.  I hope to upgrade my receiver within the next few months
though.

In case it's relevant or anyone is interested, here's the
configuration I currently use for bit-perfect audio using the digital
optical output from my Turtle Beach soundcard.  I've overridden the
audio device in the myth music setting to use ALSA:hw:0,2 to avoid any
conversions from taking place (note this is hw and not plughw, as
plughw will resample).  In General settings under Advanced Audio
Configuration I overrode SRC quality and set it to disabled.  I also
disabled internal volume controls on the next screen.  Not sure those
last 2 steps are absolutely required, but I figured best to start with
everything off and see if my content plays... which it does.

Dave