[mythtv-users] Issues with serial port

Rod Rod at Rods.id.au
Thu Aug 26 04:35:51 UTC 2010

On 26/08/2010 2:15 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Marc Randolph<mrand at pobox.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 10:15 PM, Gabe Rubin<gaberubin at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> I am trying to change channels on my DCT-2200 series box using the
>>> channel changer script in contrib.  Problem is, I don't my computer
>>> recognizes my serial port.  The motherboard I purchased does not have
>>> one so I purchased a PCI add on card that has two USB ports and a
>>> serial port.  How do I get my computer to recognize the serial port?
>>>

>>> And this:
>>> [root at localhost ~]# dmesg |grep Serial
>>> Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 4 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
>>> [...]
>>> usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
>>> USB Serial support registered for pl2303
>>>

>>> And this:
>>> [root at localhost ~]# lspci
>>>
>> Howdy Gabe!
>>
>> I think you actually want lsusb, although it's unlikely to produce any
>> helpful information.
>> Looks like you are in good company... there are some ideas in this
>> thread (most especially to try ttyUSB0):

>> You might search that forums and/or via google for pl2303 or pl2302x.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>

> Thanks for the link.  That is very discouraging because it looks like
> this is just flaky hardware with no good solution.  I may just have to
> already on board (which is getting increasingly difficult these days).

     Hi, I have a device that looks like this one on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-2-0-Cable-DB9-pin-RS232-Port-Serial-Adapter-/270617246434?pt=AU_Laptop_Accessories

     I'm not sure this is exactly the same as what I have (internally)
but its the same molded body as what I have, this is running on my Linux
box that allows me to monitor the Tevion UPS that is serial only.

     I'm running the following modules, pl2303 & usbserial..  lsusb
gives this device

Bus 005 Device 002: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial
Port

     And for the money, much better than a new mobo, or sourcing another
mobo who has a serial device :)