[mythtv-users] UPnP Devices - Myth Menu

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Aug 26 01:13:55 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, August 25, 2010 07:05:50 pm Raymond Wagner wrote:
>   On 8/25/2010 20:52, mike at grounded.net wrote:
> >>   It seems I can only play recorded "Livetv", but not true real time
> >>   live tv
> >
> > I'm assuming you mean simply because it's being recorded as it's playing
> > so it's never really live?
>
> Correct.  There is a 'Watch TV' mode, but due to latencies in set top
> boxes, capture devices, and Myth's own network transparent design, you
> will always be several seconds behind the actual broadcast.

Einstein would be happy to explain to you that "live" has no meaning. There is always speed-of-light lag from the source,
in several ways, and of course the cognitive lag in the viewer.

"Live TV" with Myth is still playing back a recording. You could also schedule a recording and "chase" it as it records,
this is the closest you would be able to get to "live" with UPnP. This applies to MythWeb as well.