[mythtv-users] ANN: PlugMyth, a new MythTV distribution for Plug computers

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Wed Aug 25 18:04:31 UTC 2010

On 08/24/2010 09:39 PM, Tyler T wrote:
> Plug computers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheevaPlug) are becoming
> popular "home servers" so I guess it was only a matter of time before
> someone squeezed MythTV onto one. In fact, I've been using one
> satisfactorily as my own BE for a couple of months, so I went ahead
> and created a distro to make it a little easier for others wanting to
> try it out:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/plugmyth/
> ___
>  /yler

How well does your system handle mythfilldatabase? On my FE/BE i7, single disk system, mythfilldatabase will saturate the hard
disk so thoroughly that higher priority processes will hang for 10s of seconds at a time.

In relation to the other arguments going on in this thread, my system will not sleep or hibernate properly, but the ACPI
shutdown and scheduled power up has been incredibly reliable on this system.
In regards to power savings, If you have an air conditioner, electric heat, or do any cooking, you MythTV system is probably an
insignificant percentage of your total power bill, and you should look at other areas to save (like insulating your house) first.

But I'm glad you are working on this, lower power also means less noise (no need for fans).