[mythtv-users] ANN: PlugMyth, a new MythTV distribution for Plug computers

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 16:36:39 UTC 2010

> The point is that if OP actually includes *all* of the hardware that is
> needed for his solution and considers that it's running even when doing
> nothing, over time, it's not as much of a saving as he thinks, because
> (at least in his wiki) he is not accounting for any of the hardware that
> contributes to that "Traditional PC" power usage.

I chose not to consider externialities like tuners because those are
going to be there regardless of PC or Plug... a fixed cost of doing
business with MythTV, as it were. We can quibble about numbers, but
the savings were still significant enough to show up on my power bill.
:)

> I think the OP was using yet another drive (he advocated an esata to not
> saturate the USB port) to store recordings, which he needs to add to his
> 10w of power draw for the walwart (only).

I don't suggest using two drives; I use a single USB HD for
everything. Those with USB tuners would probably want to use a single
eSATA HD for everything. Or a $10 USB stick for the OS (minuscule
power draw) and NAS for recordings.

FYI the Plug computer draws about 4w by itself when idle and 10w at
100% utilization. A 2.5" HD might average 3w. So, 7w to 13w works out
to about 10w average for Plug+drive together.

> Not at all.  In fact I think it's neat.  I just wanted to shine some
> light on the false economy of "power savings" it claims.  It might still
> wind up being a power saving (although I am skeptical),

My power bill says I use 2kW/day less since moving to a Plug (I
realize this is not scientific but I didn't change any other
electrical usage habits recently and this is all the data I have).
Using the US average of 12¢ per kW/h, that works out to $86/year in
savings. For me (as mentioned in another thread here earlier) the big
win was getting rid of the large, hot, noisy tower with a heatsink
that needed frequent cleaning and fans that needed periodic
replacement... the power savings was merely a fringe benefit.