[mythtv-users] mythtv install: capture card setup, failed to open

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 12:48:31 UTC 2010

> You selected analog and it didn't work, why did you not then try the other
> option to see what would happen?

I think he said he did, with the same error.

Anyway I agree that "IVTV MPEG-2 Encoder" is the correct option to choose.

I'd make sure that mythbackend (and any other TV application) is not
running and then look at the user permissions on the video devices and
make sure they're suitable for the user that mythtv-setup (and
mythbackend when you come to run it) is being run as.