[mythtv-users] ANN: PlugMyth, a new MythTV distribution for Plug computers

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Aug 25 12:43:37 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 22:39 -0600, Tyler T wrote:

> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/plugmyth/

The wiki page says:

        Traditional PCs consume a lot of power. A Plug computer with
        2.5" hard drive draws maybe 10 watts, probably 1/10th the power
        of many traditional PCs ...

Have you added up the power consumption of all devices needed, including
external HDDs and Tuners?  I would be interested in what that number is.

Then, take that number and extrapolate it over time to get your total
usage in 24h.

Now compare that to the traditional PC that can be put to sleep (drawing
only 5 watts, looking at my kilo-watt right now) for probably 18-20 of
those 24 hours.  It draws about 130 watts running.

FWIW, my (mostly sleeping) BE has 4 analog and 1 digital tuners
(configured for 3 multirecs) for a total of 7 possible tuners.  Please
be sure to account for that many tuners in your comparison.

How does it compare now?

b.