[mythtv-users] Superserver

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 11:09:38 UTC 2010

On 25 August 2010 02:27, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>  On 8/24/2010 20:24, Robert Johnston wrote:
>>
>> You are aware that TDP stands for "Thermal Design Power", which is a
>> description of the maximum amount of HEAT output by a particular device. So
>> a 100W TDP CPU will have to have a heatsink capable of dissipating at least
>> 100 watts of heat. It also means that a 100W TDP processor may (will
>> probably) use more than 100W of power, as 100W of it are being wasted as
>> heat.
>
> I don't understand this.  The power has to go somewhere, it has to do
> something.  A processor doesn't produce light, noise, or physical work, all
> that's left is heat.

... and entropy

which (I think) proposes that increasing or decreasing the amount of
randomness in a set of data requires a transfer of energy.

http://kn.theiet.org/magazine/issues/1010/heat-saves-energy-1010.cfm

However, for the purposes of this thread I'd be inclined to ignore
this and concentrate only on thermal issues.