[mythtv-users] Superserver

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Aug 24 22:59:10 UTC 2010

On Tue, August 24, 2010 6:34 pm, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> Time for a whole new setup.
>
> My goal is to reduce power consumption and # of computers.
> I have one backend now and 4 frontends.
>
> I am thinking I would like to use one superserver ( 8 cpu, lots of disk,
> and
> 8+gigs of RAM ), and try to reduce the # of computers.
>
> Uses also include a NoMachine server for Family use.
>
> I am thinking that I would like to use VMware or VirtualMachine but that
> causes problems.
> Does anyone have any ideas for how to combine some or all of this?
>
> A frontend dedicated just for a Nvidia 210 forf HDMI for each TV seems
> wastefull.  The MythBackend could also be a frontend, but that is only one
> gone.
>
> Any ideas from anyone or experiences on what might work?

I use a multi-head setup; my mythbackend runs 2 workstations and the myth fe.

It works great but the setup is not for the faint of heart.

You don't need 8 CPUs unless you just want bragging rights; I have a
dual-core Athlon 4600 that runs the whole setup and rarely do I see it max
out.  Mostly it idles throttled down to 1000 mhz.

If multihead is the way you want to go, I'll go into more detail.

--Yan

--
If you have eight hours to chop down a tree
spend six sharpening your axe.