[mythtv-users] Superserver

Douglas Choma doug at polaritylabs.com
Tue Aug 24 22:36:47 UTC 2010

   On 8/24/10 2:01 PM, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> So maybe use an atom with a Nvidia GPU?
> If not, then does a Nvidia 9400M that I see listed frequently onboard
> with the atom work well?
>
> This is where I get confused on the frontend atom vs Nvidia etc...

I've been using a Zotac mini-itx board (B series) as a FE, and I don't
have any complaints.  It was relatively inexpensive, doesn't require
active cooling (therefore silent), and seems to perform fine.  It's a
single core Atom with the 9400M GPU (aka ION).  The VDPAU decoding on
the Nvidia does all the heavy lifting for video playback.  Of course I'm
not using it for anything other than Myth.  Maybe there are some FE
applications I haven't tried that would really show how wimpy the Atom
processor is, but so far so good.

Incidentally, it also requires so little power that I'm able to use a
picoPSU (http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/it.A/id.417/.f).

Is there something else out there that isn't ION-based that hits all
these marks?  Mac Mini isn't an option...  I love Apple products, but
the mini is ~2.5x the price.