[mythtv-users] Superserver

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Aug 24 21:30:43 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, August 24, 2010 03:23:56 pm Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Mark Hutchinson <markhsa at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Understood.  What have people on the forum had good luck with?  I would
> > like a recommendation if you can.
> > Dont worry, if it does not work, I wont hold you to it.  :)
>
> I've had a very good experience with the Acer Aspire Revo 1600 I got a
> while back.   It was only $200, and plays the recordings from an HDHomeRun
> and HD-PVR without problems.  It is an Atom/ION machine.
>
> If you need more computing power, like for Flash, this won't do.

I don't ask my Revo to decode Flash. For Hulu et al I use a transcoding UPnP server that presents the stream as MPEG2-PS,
which the Revo can handle easily.

I'm not sure enough that Flash will stick around, and not get assisted decoding, to invest in hardware just to watch Hulu
occasionally. For that matter, I'm not so sure Hulu will stick around, at least in its present incarnation. It's already
getting full of too many commercials and "is this commercial relevant to you" crap to be worth watching any more.

Most of what I can get from Hulu and others of its ilk I can get from Netflix Watch Instantly with DVD quality and
excellent reliability, and of course no commercials at all.